For the former art school in Montreal, see École des Beaux-Arts de Montréal. The origins of the school go back to 1648 when the Académie des Beaux-Arts was founded by Cardinal Mazarin to educate the most talented students in drawing, painting, sculpture, engraving, architecture and other media. The curriculum was divided into the « Academy of Le Musée des beaux-arts, Quimper PDF and Sculpture » and the « Academy of Architecture ». Both programs focused on classical arts and architecture from Ancient Greek and Roman culture.
All students were required to prove their skills with basic drawing tasks before advancing to figure drawing and painting. This culminated in a competition for the Grand Prix de Rome, awarding a full scholarship to study in Rome. The buildings of the school are largely the creation of French architect Félix Duban, who was commissioned for the main building in 1830. His work realigned the campus, and continued through 1861, completing an architectural program out towards the Quai Malaquais.